crz road handling - Honda CR-Z Hybrid Sport Car Forums - CRZ–Craze.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default crz road handling

NO way the crz will just be a mpg monster with good looks.

Lets hear what you have to say about the crz when it is time to make a fast turn.

I think it better drive like it's on rails because it sure won't be a drag car with hybrid power.

Honda should used a design it already has, saves money and will definitely work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Onehots2k

Default Re: crz road handling

I think they were serious when they say it will be VERY sporty. They werent kidding with the new Insight. Its LARGEST competitor in that aspect will be the MINI Cooper S.

I mean look at the Honda Fit. I've read 3 diff publications that said the Honda Fit is the best handling car under 20k. Honda will have to step up and make the CR-Z the best handling under 25k. Its going to have some stiff competition but they wont be nearly as efficient.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

The recent review I read comparing the new Prius to the Insight went along the lines of this.

Prius- although now 3rd Gen it still has a non-connected feeling to the road, the steering is numb and this is clearly not a car that one car derive pleasure from its handling characteristics.

Insight- having started this car out with many frame/suspension components from the Jazz/Fit this car brings more to market than just hybrid technology, it is a pleasure to drive, and in sport mode it is actually fun to toss around.

So the point I'm making is if the hybrid family-hauler - Insight - is fun, then clearly the sporty car - CR-Z - should be an absolute blast. If Honda gets it right I think it should have lots of torque, a nice firm suspension, a super rigid structure and for crying out loud, don't put no f'ing drum brakes on the rear!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onehots2k
I mean look at the Honda Fit. I've read 3 diff publications that said the Honda Fit is the best handling car under 20k.
I had a student at Watkins Glen last year with a Fit. The silly little thing was bone stock, including those pathetic OEM all season crap tires. Even equipped like it was, I had a blast riding around the track in it. It took a while to get used to the roll because of the high center of gravity, and it took a while to get used to overwhelming the front grip and provoking massive understeer, but the thing was unshakable, never surprising, very predictable, and honestly, responded fairly well to trailing throttle oversteer. No, it was not as much fun as the Ferrari F430 Challenge Stradale, but then again you could buy about 12 Fits for just one 430 Challenge.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
hargert

I agree and I would expect the CRZ to handle very well given the limited stats that we have now. Now with that said I do think that we should not be expecting a sports car. They said "sporty" for a reason so I would expect it to be a blast to drive and handle very well with a good amount of punch off the line but a lower max speed. I for one am ok with that I have always thought that hybrid technolgy would make for a very fun car given that you can get silly amounts of torque from a standstill. This can translate into power when you need it no need to hit the "sweet" spot on the tac. So now the hardest part is waiting for info to come out....
Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Over on s2ki we have debated the difference between sporty car and sportscar in great detail and you are right, they are not the same, and the CR-Z will not be a sportscar.

As much as I love my '90 CRX-Si, I'm the 1st one to admit it is not a sportscar, it is a sporty car, the S2000 though is a sportscar.

The interesting irony here though, my CRX-Si which has a very serious aftermarket track suspension, will run circles around the S2000 with its stock suspension.

And yes, the wait for details is ****...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Everything posted here sounds great.

And I thought the insight was just a people mover.

I don't need crazy top speed and crazy HP to have fun

HHH,
So the major difference between sporty and sportscar is rwd and big HP??
Any car over $20k better not have drum brakes.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz1nsider
HHH,
So the major difference between sporty and sportscar is rwd and big HP??
Any car over $20k better not have drum brakes.
The question is almost as bad as which came 1st the chicken or the egg....
For many people the actual difference is very hard to nail down, they can look at a vehicle and immediately group it as sporty or sportscar, but putting a specific definition to each gets harder.
For me a true sportscar is a 2-seater, and I guess that also has to include some of the 2+2's out there that have rear seats, but they are only big enough for a bag of groceries, more a little shelf than an actual seat, RWD and major performance be it handling or power are also required for my definition.

Example-
Ford Cobra = sportscar
Ford Mustang Shelby GT = sportycar
Both are RWD, and both have big HP, but no way will I label the Stang as a sportscar.

MGA = sportscar
This beautiful creation is one of the all time best looking roadsters ever created, and so many cars copied the lines making it an awesome classic. Yes it is RWD, but the 1,500 I4 from 1957 produced 68 hp @ 5,500 rpms and 77 ft-lbs @3,500 rpms, clearly this is not big HP, but to call this a sporty car and not a sportscar is wrong, it is wrong on just so many levels.

Baby oh baby, that's a sportcar!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
hargert

Well for me I label anything that is 2 seater (+ rear seats that were put there to keep insurance down not for real use), is performance based with speed and handling given more importance then comfort/utility a sports car. A sporty car is just a car where they have tried to add performance and handling to a car that is designed to do something else.

So for the CRZ it is a hybrid car and should see good MPG, good features, but as it is sporty it should have some good accel/braking and good handling as well. If it was a "sports" car I would expect it to have a kick ass 0-60 and a stick to the road like glue, of course I would expect to see MPG in the 20's to pay for all of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CR-Z Hybrid Sport Car Forums - CRZ–Craze.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in