Batteries only at 50% capacity! - Honda CR-Z Hybrid Sport Car Forums - CRZ–Craze.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Onehots2k

Default Batteries only at 50% capacity!

Autocar sat down with some people to discuss Honda's CR-Z:

“It’s true that we could work the hybrid assist system harder,” he goes on. “At the moment it’s supplying 13bhp and 60lb ft, but only using about 50 per cent of the capacity of our batteries. We could increase that assistance, but we would need to provide more cooling for the batteries, and we would also shorten the battery pack’s operational life. In our view, that’s too big a price to pay.”

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/designlangu...-in-detail.aspx

We all know that Honda is all about reliability and all that Jazz. The current generation of Insight's battery has a 10yr 150,000mile warranty. One would assume it holds the CR-Z to the same standard. IMHO, this means that there is room to play for the tuners. They can have the car mirror its stock settings in the ECO and NORMAL modes and have it give more power in its SPORT setting, No? Worst case scenario is an all-new battery but that just sounds VERY expensive.

We already know that MUGEN, Spoon, and Noblese have already started working on parts for this car. I wonder if Hondata and other reputable S2000 tuners are up to the task.

***The CR-Z has an ECO, NORMAL, and SPORT modes. Honda's website states its EPA was tested in "Normal."
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Batteries only at 50% capacity!

I can see tuners finding ways to cool those batteries and upping the battery output.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I knew that there is more to the CR-Z's powertrain that will surprise us. It's just a matter of time until Hondata comes out with a reflash that will lower the VTEC point and raise the rev limit. But this time, they will have the battery to play with as well! I don't see why they can't reprogram the ECU to increase the battery output in the sport mode like you said.

greenev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenev
I knew that there is more to the CR-Z's powertrain that will surprise us. It's just a matter of time until Hondata comes out with a reflash that will lower the VTEC point and raise the rev limit. But this time, they will have the battery to play with as well! I don't see why they can't reprogram the ECU to increase the battery output in the sport mode like you said.

Do you know why Honda cars are so loved by the tuner world?? Because honda designs cars with upgrade in mind. Later on lighter and super capacity batteries will be available as hybrid cars become more popular. I am sure the aftermarket will work it into the crz. Batteries will get cheaper in a few years too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CR-Z Hybrid Sport Car Forums - CRZ–Craze.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in