HP and TQ output? - Page 2 - Honda CR-Z Hybrid Sport Car Forums - CRZ–Craze.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: HP and TQ output?

Honestly guys, I think we ALL need to reconsider what we think we know about motors.
The so called "size of the motor needed to generate 268 ft-lbs" might be beyond our conventional knowledge.
The so called motor is not a seperate thing, or a bunch of separate things, it is a critical internal part of the engine/tranny combo.
Based upon this, I think it may be very possible for Honda to generate more torque than the Insight has, without having to add a lot of extra weight or volume.

Quote:

The hardware configuration of the motor is an interesting one. The rotor is attached to the crankshaft on one side and the transmission input on the other. A series of field coils are mounted around the outside of the rotor. A position sensor keeps track of the rotor angular location. The electromagnetic flux in alternating coils is switched on and off causing a torque on the rotor. This is known as a flux-switching motor. It's a mechanically simple device that can easily superimpose additional torque on the engine output.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/01...ight-63-4-mpg/
Holy crap, that MOTOR is inside the engine!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
hargert

Yes but then it will add cost, if Honda could have given the Insight more torque or HP without effecting the size and wieght and thus the MPG they would have. Unless of course it would have effected the cost and as we all know they were going for low cost hybrid. In any engineering problem you can have any two of the following time/cost/quallity. Or in this case weight/power/cost pick what two you want. I for one would gladly pay an extra 2k-7k premium for a more powerfull version of the CRZ that could get anywhere close to 250 ft-lbs of torque. I dont care as much about top speed (how often do you get to drive 90 mph+).

On another note do we know if the CRZ is front wheel drive or rear?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hargert
On another note do we know if the CRZ is front wheel drive or rear?

FWD for sure.
BringBackPrelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hargert
Yes but then it will add cost, if Honda could have given the Insight more torque or HP without effecting the size and wieght and thus the MPG they would have. Unless of course it would have effected the cost and as we all know they were going for low cost hybrid. In any engineering problem you can have any two of the following time/cost/quallity. Or in this case weight/power/cost pick what two you want. I for one would gladly pay an extra 2k-7k premium for a more powerfull version of the CRZ that could get anywhere close to 250 ft-lbs of torque. I dont care as much about top speed (how often do you get to drive 90 mph+).
Understood and agree about much of that.

I honestly believe, if Honda stays true to the CR-Z concept then what was good for the Insight will not necessarily be good for the CR-Z. The entire premise of the CR-Z was to be the 1st company to add together the following Hybrid + Sportyfun. Clearly the Insight is more along the lines of Hybrid + Familyhauler. These two objectives could not be farther apart, thus I still believe Honda can, and will, do things to the CR-Z that they would never do to the Insight.

And as you mentioned price, which obviously will have a huge bearing on the outcome of what we get, never have I read they were trying to get the CR-Z under 20, although I have been reading that about the Insight all along.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, the 1st company that can successfully combine Hybrid + Sportyfun is going to have a sales hit on their hands.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Onehots2k

Hagert, you nailed it on the head. COSTis a big factor. I would gladly pay a 2-7k premium as well for a 250hp motor too. I mean VW's R32 had that much and it was in the low 30's. Ouch.

H, I think your onto to something too. They indeed have been stressing ''less than 20k" for the Insight. I havent ever heard that about the CR-Z. Plus, its taking them so **** long! It better be amazing and groundbreaking.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onehots2k
its taking them so **** long! It better be amazing and groundbreaking.
And damnn well better come in orange!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
hargert

The thing could come on only bright purple and I would still pick one up, you can always paint it later.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Hagert, you nailed it on the head. COSTis a big factor. I would gladly pay a 2-7k premium as well for a 250hp motor too. I mean VW's R32 had that much and it was in the low 30's. Ouch.

H, I think your onto to something too. They indeed have been stressing ''less than 20k" for the Insight. I havent ever heard that about the CR-Z. Plus, its taking them so **** long! It better be amazing and groundbreaking.
I agree that it better be groundbreaking.

If Honda is not putting a bunch of R&D into the CR-Z, then what are they doing? Possibly no V-8 platform, no new Sx000. Hopefully they are putting their efforts into the Hybrid tech. Knowing Honda, I think they are
Bz2005s2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Onehots2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k
Quote:

I agree that it better be groundbreaking.

If Honda is not putting a bunch of R&D into the CR-Z, then what are they doing? Possibly no V-8 platform, no new Sx000. Hopefully they are putting their efforts into the Hybrid tech. Knowing Honda, I think they are
My feelings exactly man.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

honda is also working with diesel.

imagine diesel power + IMA boost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CR-Z Hybrid Sport Car Forums - CRZ–Craze.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in